Police Accountability Board Public Notes 20th March 2017


Office of Northamptonshire Police, Fire and Crime CommissionerNorthants Police Logo

 

ACCOUNTABILITY BOARD

Action Notes and Decision Record

20th March 2017

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

Present:

Stephen Mold (SM), Northamptonshire Police and Crime Commissioner (Chair)

Martin Scoble (MS), Chief Executive, OPCC

Paul Fell (PF), Director for Delivery, OPCC

Simon Clifford (SC), Director for Technology and Digital Transformation, OPCC (Item 3 and 4 only)

Emily Evans (EE), Minute Taker, OPCC

 

Simon Edens (SE), Chief Constable

Andy Frost (AF), Deputy Chief Constable

Phil Eaton (PE), Tri Force Head of IT (Item 3 and 4 only)

 

– SM introduced the meeting.

– PF noted action points from the previous meeting and all actions were discharged.

 

2. HMIC Effectiveness Inspection

Current areas for Improvement (AFI)

– A comprehensive explanation of the process for managing and tracking identified Areas for Improvement, originating from inspections from Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) was given by AF.

– A summary of ongoing work to resolve outstanding AFIs was given.

– All AFIs are allocated to a Superintendent or equivalent in the Force.

 

Assurance

– SM requested further information on what steps are taken to identify and resolve AFIs before they are identified by the HMIC inspection, as well as making sure that we are future proofing our approach to inspections, by making sure that horizon scanning takes place to identify where future inspection regimes might explore.

– Assurance of the processes in place was provided by AF and it was noted that there are several ways these are identified prior to inspection. These included the HMIC monthly insight visits.

– Further explanation was provided in relation to layers of assurance that were in place to monitor response to HMIC inspections. While Superintendents owned specific activity relating to AFIs, these were monitored and reported to the two Chief Superintendents. Regular review takes place with Chief Officer Team, with the next such meeting being on 7th April. This is also supported by regular on site visits by HMIC link officer, who reality checks what we are reporting to HMIC. Activity is also sense checked at a variety of forums including, Organisational Performance Group, Transformation Board and Force Assurance Board.

 

Future Inspections

– SM requested clarification around what the expected results might be this year.

– SE provided reassurance that progress has been made which will be reflected in the results. It was noted that SE is confident there will be significant improvements reflected in the next inspection results.

– SM requested reassurance regarding what will happen once AF retires. AF advised that Rachel Swann has been involved in planning meetings for next Inspection and that the a full hand over will be carried out.

– There was some discussion around the impact of the implementation of the SDM and the level of expectation from HMIC. All agreed that effective and timely implementation of the SDM was critical to resolving a number of the AFIs in the recent Effectiveness Inspection. SE made the point that ongoing conversations were taking place with HMIC in relation to this. HMIC were demonstrating positive signs in relation to our plans and
were aware of the timescales in relation to these. SE stated that he was confident that he had the senior staff in position to effectively implement and lead the future operational model.

– There was discussion in relation to a number of the AFIs relating to the management of serious and organised crime and partnership activity to support this. PF offered to meet with members of serious and organised crime directorate to make sure that OPCC are tied in with the effective delivery of this.

ACTION: PF to meet with Director of Intelligence to discuss future plans.

ACTION: AF to provide PF with copy of the Efficiency and Legitimacy questions

 

3. Service disruption- ICT Systems

– AF introduced the topic and handed over to PE who described the IT problems that have been experienced recently, in particular the intermittent outages. PE explained this was a complex issue in terms of making an assessment of the core issues due to the intermittent nature of the issues and the old technology to which it applied.

– SM requested clarification on what action has been taken to prevent this happening again in the future. PE described what work has been undertaken to prevent this both to date and planned for the future.

– AF and PE explained that the greater emerging clarity over the future direction of an estates strategy assisted in this regard as it provided a clearer way forward for investment in the future.

 

4. Mobile Smartphone Replacement Programme

– AF began by explaining that the current Blackberries used by staff and officers are now at end of life stage and that a replacement is needed.

– PE advised that a transitionary device is required between now and the implementation of the Emergency Services Network (ESN) network in approximately two years.

– PE explained the two different options which are currently being considered for the short term (Blackberry and Samsung).

– PE explained the need for the new unit to be transitional and advised of the various pros and cons of both the Blackberry and the Samsung handset, including cost and functionality.

– PE drew attention to the previously submitted report and the comparisons made and advised of the financial implications of choosing the Samsung. The costs of the Samsung are significantly greater than the Blackberry and choosing the Blackberry would allow a better transitionary period when the ESN is implemented.

– There was some discussion around the software Samsung uses (Knox)

– AF noted that focus should be on getting the best units available in 2019 that provided the best balance between affordability and functionality.

– Questions were raised about what might happen if the ESN should be delayed and it was advised that this would be reassessed should this happen.

– It was advised that stock will be replaced as the remaining units are coming to the end of their life. AF advised regarding priorities for replacement in order to effectively deliver the SDM.

 

Decision

Blackberry DTEK50 is the approved option.

– SE thanked PE for his work and SC for his ongoing support

 

5. Sexual Predation

– A brief summary was given of recent cases of officers investigated for sexual predation and the outcomes of these cases.

– AF noted that all Sergeants have been briefed over acceptable behaviors and responsibility to challenge and report. There was also a planned rollout of material including posters and leaflets. AF advised that confidence in reporting this behavior will grow.

Closed Session

– There was further discussed in a closed session in relation to specific cases and matters.

6. AOB

– SM closed the meeting at 15:40.

 

END

 

Nation mourns the death of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

We are deeply saddened by the death of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. We join the nation in a period of mourning and extend our condolences to the Royal Family.