Police Accountability Board Notes 12th March 2019


Office of Northamptonshire Police, Fire and Crime CommissionerNorthants Police Logo

 

ACCOUNTABILITY BOARD

Minutes

12th March 2019

 

1. Welcome and introductions

Attendees:

Stephen Mold

Paul Bullen

Paul Fell

Emily Evans

Nick Adderley

Paul Dawkins

Ali Naylor

 

  • SM welcomed the meeting.
  • The previous minutes were agreed.
  • It was agreed that Colleen Rattigan would take responsibility for following up outstanding actions on behalf of the Force.
  • There was a discussion about a review of the vehicle fleet.

 

2. Internal audit relating to seized property

  • NA introduced the paper.
  • There was a discussion regarding educating officers about what should and shouldn’t be seized and issues with recording detained property on NICHE.
  • SM raised concerns that the paper does not outline the operational requirements for detained property.
  • SM requested assurance regarding what risks detained property raises and what the Force will do to mitigate these risks.
  • ACTION: SM requested updated paper that clearly provides reassurance about the five risks identified. PF to write to NA outlining these risks.

 

 

3. Crime recording and crime data integrity

  • There was a discussion regarding crime recording rates and SM requested reassurance from NA on the processes in Force for this to happen with high levels of integrity.
  • NA advised that he believed crime might be under recorded and that the 24 hour deadline is being missed at times. NA expanded this by saying that this assessment was as a result of internal audits and was mainly a technical issue where a victim might have suffered several crimes and only 1 was being recorded. He outlined a plan to improve and it was noted that while there was still more to do the trajectory was an improving one.
  • SM noted concerns regarding crime recording rates in some specialist teams. NA advised that this is being picked up by Richard Tompkins to educate and train Officers. Support will also be in place to ensure understanding and improve the position before any HMICFRS inspection. There was a discussion regarding the impact that the SDM has had on recording rates.
  • SM requested assurance that work is ongoing to improve the position in the short term. NA advised of daily reviews and a new four phased approach.
  • There was a discussion regarding solutions within the Force Control Room or the potential to create a Crime Recording Bureau. Work is ongoing and the topic will be revisited.
  • There was a discussion regarding what the aspirations are for recording crime within 24 hours.
  • NA outlined work that Supt Tuckley was doing to try to improve the rates of compliance with 24 hour recording rules.
  • There was a discussion concerning the stance that SM and NA were to take with HMICFRS if they adversely comment on 24 hour recording compliance rates.
  • ACTION: Paper to be provided at next meeting on work that Supt Tuckley is undertaking to improve 24 hour recording compliance.
  • ACTION: Subsequent to Supt TUCKLEY submitting paper on work being undertaken to improve 24 hour recording compliance SM and NA to agree a statement for HMICFRS on compliance rates.

 

 

4. Absence and attendance management

  • NA noted that attendance levels continue to be a challenge.
  • NA advised that the same processes and policies are in place as Leicestershire Police who have the best attendance rates. It was noted that supervisors here feel that they are too busy to carry out supervisory functions such as return to work interviews and 1:2:1s.
  • It was noted that in order to improve the situation, the Force are trialling an early intervention role who will be responsible for managing sickness and interventions.
  • There was a discussion regarding inaccurate data regarding sickness and the impact that fusion will have in rectifying this.
  • It was noted that there will also be an analyst dedicated to HR, to support better understanding of issues.
  • HR are considering medical surveillance and/or increased contact with those absent to support them in returning to work.
  • It was suggested that by challenging those who are absent and maintaining contact with them, this will reduce sickness rates.
  • It was noted that increased cleaning could help to prevent the spread of sickness.
  • There was a discussion regarding a lack of motivation amongst staff to stay in work.
  • It was noted that the solution is a combination of increased wellbeing and robust management for sickness.
  • There was a discussion regarding the appropriate use of carers leave, dependents and compassionate leave.
  • It was suggested that two additional posts are required to bring down sickness levels and promote culture change. This would be required on a 12 month temporary basis.
  • Other options were discussed should sickness levels remain high.
  • SM offered his support and suggested that he could take a report to the Police and Crime Panel to raise awareness.
  • There was a discussion regarding what acceptable sickness levels look like and it was agreed that this would be in line with industry standards, MSF and MSG.
  • SM recognised that good work is going on.
  • It was noted that there are opportunities within recruitment to prevent these issues.

 

5. AOB

  • There was no other business.​
 

Nation mourns the death of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

We are deeply saddened by the death of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. We join the nation in a period of mourning and extend our condolences to the Royal Family.