The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.
Relevant updates on any outstanding actions were provided and the Action Log updated.
SH provided an update on performance and confirmed that NFRS is generally performing well against the metrics included in the IRMP.
It was noted that progress has been made in the vast majority of indicators
The increase in secondary fires in Q2 2018 was largely due to the hot summer
An explanation was provided for the slight increase in sickness absence and how this is being managed. It was confirmed that there is no upward trend in short term sickness.
SM was pleased to note that the number of Home Fire Safety Checks and refits completed had increased by just over 1000 when compared to the previous year. The number of Protection visits had also increased from 492 to 764 visits
There was a discussion about the average length of call handling times which had shown a slight increase. DD confirmed that a new mobilising system and staff should improve this. Part of this increase was as a result of a new intake of staff and training. Despite this response times were showing a slight improvement.
There was a discussion about Rappel, an IT system that does not easily provide information for the scorecard around appliance and resource availability.
ACTION – PF to link RP into the Qlik team to discuss if suitable.
It was agreed that SH would send further information to SM regarding appliance availability particularly between the pinch points of 7am and 9am and 5pm and 7pm when whole time and bank staff book off duty and retained staff book on.
SM was reassured that NFRS appliance availability presented an improving picture over the past 6 months (+5%) rather than the steady decline shown previously.
There was a discussion about how NFRS benchmarks against others.
ACTION – DD to review to make the measures clearer and more meaningful relating to firefighter and officer development.
There was a discussion about Road Safety initiatives and supporting our NES Cadets.
Action SM agreed to discuss Police vetting of fire volunteers to ease recruitment and staffing issues
RP provided an overview on CIPFA and how NFRS compare with their family group which contained 12 fire and rescue services, including stand-alone services, County Council services and those governed by OPFCC.
DD confirmed that he was content with the comparisons and there were no major outliers.
There was a discussion about chargeable services i.e. rescues from lifts and other opportunities that Fire could offer.
SM confirmed that he is keen to support the creation of a ‘trading entity’ around training and other services.
ACTION – PB to discuss with Paul Greenwood.
There was a discussion about the retention of retained staff and opportunities created by offering a tri-service similar to the Devon and Cornwall model.
It was agreed that there will need to be a strategy document presented via the Interoperability Board.
ACTION – SM will discuss further with the Chief Constable and the Chief Fire Officer when they next meet.
DD outlined the legal process regarding potential industrial action over pay and outlined three possible scenarios and the potential impact of each.
There was a discussion about how strike action is recorded.
SM offered assistance from OFPCC.
It was agreed that this will be covered in more detail at the next meeting.
ACTION – PF to add to the July agenda
RP raised the joint control room agreement between Warwickshire and Northamptonshire which prompted a discussion about the joint model.
Action – DD to continue discussions with Warwickshire before any statement of intent is signed.